Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Tim Tag Tutorial!


Tim's February tag inspired me to do something different this month.  Instead of a tag, I created this 6x6 card.  Here's a look at Tim's tag ...


I want to eventually hang all these tags around my craft room, so I try not to make them holiday themed.  I also enjoy coming up with my own twist.

While flipping through my Tim stencils, I was inspired by the Cargo alphabet stencil and immediately thought of the Vintage Typewriter die.  My little mind started doing it's thing, and I realized the die would be too large for a tag, hence the card.

I followed his tutorial for the February tag (check it out here), and, as always, I try to do all the techniques.  Unfortunately, I had a little trouble with one or two.  This card actually took me 3 days to complete!  haha


I began with a 5-1/2 x 5-1/2 piece of Ranger manilla cardstock.  I put some Pumice Stone, Weathered Wood, and Spun Sugar Distress Stains on my craft sheet.


I swiped the cardstock through a couple of times until covered with stain, misted with water, and completely dried with my heat gun.  While drying, I tilted the card to and fro to create unusual drips.


I used painter's tape to hold the stencil in place.


I added Worn Lipstick, Barn Door, and Fired Brick Distress Inks with the applicator tool in different places to create a gradient in color.  While the ink was wet, I sprinkled Clear embossing powder & heated to melt.


I've been itching to use this Shatter stencil, so I added some Worn Lipstick Distress Ink on the right side with the stencil.


It still needed something, so I grabbed an applicator tool and used whatever leftover ink was on it (Spiced Marmalade or Wild Honey maybe?).  I used it in a couple of places with the Dot Fade stencil.


I added Black Soot Distress around the edges.   A little too much contrast, so ...


I added some Pumice Stone too.  Just a subtle difference, but I was happy with it.

I decided to make the typewriter die with Black Soot glitter.  I smeared Glossy Accents all over and dumped it on.  When I tapped it off, it didn't stick in places, and I realized I forgot to paint the chipboard!  I decided to make a new one, this one with Antique Linen glitter.


I painted it first with Antique Linen Distress Paint and dried it.  Applied Glossy Accents, the glitter and laid it aside to dry.


OK, this chalkboard technique didn't go so well.  I don't have (what?!  I don't have???) the Frosted Crystal embossing powder by Ranger, so I tried clear.  Tim says to heat to a matte finish, so, when I thought it was, I swiped a stick of white chalk across it, and just wiped all the EP off!  Then, I tried using a Glue Pad and some baby powder.  Kind of worked, but it wasn't really white, and instead of a chalky background, it kind of just shimmered.  I finally decided to just use white embossing powder.  I pulled out my pastels and wiped some white over the cardstock to get the chalky background.  Hey, I tried, and this looked good enough to me.  lol

I distressed the edges quickly with my fingernail and then layered it onto a small piece of white cardstock.  I wanted to give the glitter more time to set, so I called it quits for the day.


On day two, I added some Black Soot Distress Ink to the edges with an applicator tool.  I love this tool!  I usually use it with my pastels.


You use little pom poms that you get at the craft store.  It has a plunger end, that when depressed, a little claw comes out the other end to grab the pom pom.


I have little tiny pom poms also to get in to tiny places.


I decided the card needed a ribbon with a bow, so I took a long piece of Tim's ribbon and colored it by first misting it with water, and then swiping it through some Distress Stain (Weathered Wood, Spun Sugar and Pumice Stone).


I squeezed out the excess by scrunching into a small ball, and then dried it with the heat tool.


I added some Pumice Stone Distress to age it a little.


And, wanted more color, so I swiped on some Barn Door Distress with an applicator tool.


Perfect!


I layered it onto some Barn Door Distress Co'ordinations cardstock, and then a piece of 6 x 12 black to create my card.  I adhered the faux chalkboard to the ribbon.


I laid my typewriter glittered die on and said 'YUK!'  Back to the Vagabond.


I cut out a third typewriter, and this time, I colored it first with Black Soot Distress Ink.


Added the black glitter ... nice!  Time to let it dry and call it quits for the day again.


On day three, I added the typewriter die to the card with lots of Tacky Tape.  Didn't want this baby popping up!  Still something missing ...  Of course ...


a Type Charm!  Instead of going with my usual "S", I decided to go with an "R" for Rodgers.


I don't know what occasion I'd send this card for ... maybe just to one of my artsy friends as a 'thinking of you' gesture.  Right now, I'm stashing it in my box of treasured tags I've made!
There was an error in this gadget