Sunday, April 6, 2014

April Tim Tag


Aah, April ... finally!  It's been a long, frigid winter here in New Jersey!  I always loved the coming of Spring, but this year, I'm especially happy to see it since I've been working outside!

This month's tag is once again a card for me, and another tutorial.  You can see Tim's original tag here.  He used one of his new dies, and since I don't have it, I used the butterfly die.  Lots of tedious work, but it was a labor of love.  :-)
 

Before I begin with the tutorial, I wanted to show you a wonderful tip my bestie, Andrea, showed me.  I've been saving the plastic tags from the bread and English Muffin packages.
 

They're perfect for holding the end of your tape rolls:  tissue tape, masking tape, package tape ... any kind, and they work great!
 

So, I began with a 5-3/4" square piece of Ranger Manilla Cardstock (it'll get mounted onto a 6x6 card)
 

I covered MOST of the surface with different tissue tapes.
 

Then, painted over the surface with Iced Spruce Distress Paint.


Then, wiped the excess paint from the surface.


I added Antique Linen Distress Ink.


I added some splatters of water, then dried with my heat gun.
 




 Frayed Burlap Distress Ink was added around the edges.



Used the Fanciful Flight Alterations die and cut all the pieces from Grunge Board.


I also cut all the wings from a sheet of cork.


Repeated with some Idea-ology Mirrored.


I covered some more Grunge Board with some scrapbook paper with a glue stick and then cut the wings out as well.
 

I painted all the butterfly plain pieces with Evergreen Bough Distress Paint and set aside to dry.


Once dry, I lightly sanded all the pieces.  *Important:  don't sand something on top of your craft sheet.  Sand your pieces on top of a piece of scrap cardboard.
 

I added some Frayed Burlap Distress Ink around the edges of the butterfly pieces.


Amazing what a difference before & after, huh?
 

I used the Frayed Burlap Distress Ink on all the pieces (except the Mirrored) before gluing them into the butterfly wings.
 

I cut some scrapbook paper using the Tattered Pinecone die, then inked it with Peeled Paint and a little Forest Moss on the edges.
 

My camera battery died, so I only have pics of the finished flowers.  I adhered them to my card with hot glue.  If you go to Tim's website for the April tag, he has a video link showing how to make them using the Tattered Pinecone die.  I colored one using Squeezed Lemonade with a little Mustard Seed.  The 2nd flower is supposed to be Tattered Rose with a little Ripe Persimmon, but I grabbed an applicator tool that was previously used with red, so it came out a little darker than I anticipated.


I colored my ribbon with Ripe Persimmon and Mustard Seed, then spritzed with water to blend the colors.


I needed something in the upper right corner, so I decided to use one of Tim's Word Bands.  I swiped some Ripe Persimmon Distress Paint across the top, let it sit a few seconds, then lightly wiped the excess off the surface.  I wanted to adhere it with the Tiny Attacher, but I had already adhered everything to the card base (Distress Co'ordinations cardstock) with very tacky tape, so I had to use some long fasteners.  I hammered them with the distress hammer tho.

Not used to being done with my tag this early in the month.  Gonna go crazy now waiting for Tim to post the May tag.  haha
There was an error in this gadget