Thursday, May 31, 2012

May Tag 2012

Today, Kelly & I finally got to work on Tim's tag for May 2012, and just in time to post to Tim's blog!  I'm really not into the sewing theme, and when I woke up this morning, I was laying in bed trying to decide what I'd do for a different theme using the same techniques.  We ended up staying within Tim's theme, and I really like how it turned out.


I started out by stamping on the pattern with an illegible script background stamp I've had for years ... nice to finally use it!  (I have waaaaay too many stamps!  lol)  It's by Dawn Hauser for Inkadinkado, and I used Ranger's Olive Archival Ink.  I crinkled the pattern up a little bit before adhering it to my tag with a Ranger Glue Stick.  I then stamped the dress (another Dawn Hauser for Inkadinkado) with Black Archival Ink.  I used the "Genuine Article" stamp from the Stampin' Up! Stamp of Authenticity set (love this set!) using Red Pepper Adirondack Ink.  The edges of the tag were then distressed and inked with Vintage Photo Distress.  The crinkle ribbon was colored with Antique Linen Distress, and I added some of the lace ribbon from Stampin' Up! that I colored with a little Vintage Photo distress.  We used Tim's ruler ribbon along the bottom like he did, not neither of us felt like pulling out the sewing machine for the detailed stitching like he did.  lol

Next was the wooden spool ... boy, did we curse Tim while sanding these!  After having surgery on both rotator cuffs, sanding this spool flat was a bitch!  But, I love the dimension!  I used my finger to add some Antique Linen Distress to it, and highlighted it with some Vintage Photo Distress.  For the fiber that's wrapped around the spool, I wanted something thin, so I have these cool fibers that came from inside my husband's work boot shoelaces!  When he replaced them, I saw what was inside and stashed them into my fiber jar!  I colored it with some Vintage Photo Distress, and wrapping it around that spool was quite a chore!  The spool was so small for my big hands, and both the fiber & spool were a little slippery from the ink, so I had a tough time tying the knot.

The flowers were more fun to make then find!  We went on a little hunt this afternoon, and we couldn't find a little bouquet of flowers anywhere--paper or silk!  Not in Michaels or Joanns.   We looked in Scrapbooking, Bridal, and Floral, and I didn't want to spend $10, so we ended up with a stem of these daisy-type flowers that I cut apart.  It was nice to pull out my melting pot again, and we really enjoyed inking these and dipping them.  Very cool!


I colored mine with Faded Jeans, Barn Door, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint & Mustard Seed Distress Inks.  I stuffed the 5 stems into the spool, and just as I was about to trim my stems to the bottom of the spool, Kelly showed me that she left hers sticking out and I thought that looked pretty cool, so I just trimmed them shorter.

I didn't have the oval charm base that Tim used, so we used his typewriter charms and paper from his Lost & Found paper stack.






There's not much color in the section of paper I used, so it's a little difficult to see.  Kelly's charm came out way better.  Here's her tag:





Our tags are very similar, but she used strings from burlap to wrap around her spool, and she inked her flowers from the center, where I inked the tips of the petals:





Love how that red one turned out!  Here's her colorful charm:


And, finally, here's what the Master's tag looked like:


I taught two classes here yesterday, so after preparing for those on Tuesday, teaching yesterday, and then today's tag, I'm a little burned out.  Here's the mess I get to clean up:



No comments:

There was an error in this gadget