Tuesday, February 18, 2014
A Tim Tag Tutorial!
Tim's February tag inspired me to do something different this month. Instead of a tag, I created this 6x6 card. Here's a look at Tim's tag ...
I want to eventually hang all these tags around my craft room, so I try not to make them holiday themed. I also enjoy coming up with my own twist.
While flipping through my Tim stencils, I was inspired by the Cargo alphabet stencil and immediately thought of the Vintage Typewriter die. My little mind started doing it's thing, and I realized the die would be too large for a tag, hence the card.
I followed his tutorial for the February tag (check it out here), and, as always, I try to do all the techniques. Unfortunately, I had a little trouble with one or two. This card actually took me 3 days to complete! haha
I began with a 5-1/2 x 5-1/2 piece of Ranger manilla cardstock. I put some Pumice Stone, Weathered Wood, and Spun Sugar Distress Stains on my craft sheet.
I swiped the cardstock through a couple of times until covered with stain, misted with water, and completely dried with my heat gun. While drying, I tilted the card to and fro to create unusual drips.
I used painter's tape to hold the stencil in place.
I added Worn Lipstick, Barn Door, and Fired Brick Distress Inks with the applicator tool in different places to create a gradient in color. While the ink was wet, I sprinkled Clear embossing powder & heated to melt.
I've been itching to use this Shatter stencil, so I added some Worn Lipstick Distress Ink on the right side with the stencil.
It still needed something, so I grabbed an applicator tool and used whatever leftover ink was on it (Spiced Marmalade or Wild Honey maybe?). I used it in a couple of places with the Dot Fade stencil.
I added Black Soot Distress around the edges. A little too much contrast, so ...
I added some Pumice Stone too. Just a subtle difference, but I was happy with it.
I decided to make the typewriter die with Black Soot glitter. I smeared Glossy Accents all over and dumped it on. When I tapped it off, it didn't stick in places, and I realized I forgot to paint the chipboard! I decided to make a new one, this one with Antique Linen glitter.
I painted it first with Antique Linen Distress Paint and dried it. Applied Glossy Accents, the glitter and laid it aside to dry.
OK, this chalkboard technique didn't go so well. I don't have (what?! I don't have???) the Frosted Crystal embossing powder by Ranger, so I tried clear. Tim says to heat to a matte finish, so, when I thought it was, I swiped a stick of white chalk across it, and just wiped all the EP off! Then, I tried using a Glue Pad and some baby powder. Kind of worked, but it wasn't really white, and instead of a chalky background, it kind of just shimmered. I finally decided to just use white embossing powder. I pulled out my pastels and wiped some white over the cardstock to get the chalky background. Hey, I tried, and this looked good enough to me. lol
I distressed the edges quickly with my fingernail and then layered it onto a small piece of white cardstock. I wanted to give the glitter more time to set, so I called it quits for the day.
On day two, I added some Black Soot Distress Ink to the edges with an applicator tool. I love this tool! I usually use it with my pastels.
You use little pom poms that you get at the craft store. It has a plunger end, that when depressed, a little claw comes out the other end to grab the pom pom.
I have little tiny pom poms also to get in to tiny places.
I decided the card needed a ribbon with a bow, so I took a long piece of Tim's ribbon and colored it by first misting it with water, and then swiping it through some Distress Stain (Weathered Wood, Spun Sugar and Pumice Stone).
I squeezed out the excess by scrunching into a small ball, and then dried it with the heat tool.
I added some Pumice Stone Distress to age it a little.
And, wanted more color, so I swiped on some Barn Door Distress with an applicator tool.
I layered it onto some Barn Door Distress Co'ordinations cardstock, and then a piece of 6 x 12 black to create my card. I adhered the faux chalkboard to the ribbon.
I laid my typewriter glittered die on and said 'YUK!' Back to the Vagabond.
I cut out a third typewriter, and this time, I colored it first with Black Soot Distress Ink.
Added the black glitter ... nice! Time to let it dry and call it quits for the day again.
On day three, I added the typewriter die to the card with lots of Tacky Tape. Didn't want this baby popping up! Still something missing ... Of course ...
a Type Charm! Instead of going with my usual "S", I decided to go with an "R" for Rodgers.
I don't know what occasion I'd send this card for ... maybe just to one of my artsy friends as a 'thinking of you' gesture. Right now, I'm stashing it in my box of treasured tags I've made!