Monday, June 11, 2012

Kelly's Home-Made Dress Form (Part I)

I thought she was crazy, but I gotta admit, not only was it fun making, but it just might work!  My daughter decided it'd be much cheaper to make a dress form using duct tape and expanding foam than to buy one.  She's always making costumes for her Anime conventions.

I came down to the kitchen and found her wrapping herself in Saran plastic wrap (kind of a funny site to see someone trying to wrap themselves in Saran wrap!).  I decided to pitch in to help and realized I should start taking pictures.




After wrapping her with duct tape, I then had to take sissors and cut up the back.  Very nerve-wracking because she gets crazy for this stuff!  She was wearing one of her favorite t-shirts.

T-shirt intact, she then started taping it back together with adhesive tape, inside & out.





Now, for the fun part ... filling it with expanding foam!




She used 5 cans, and we decided to let it dry before adding more.  We put it aside, and while eating dinner, I noticed that the foam had expanded outside the form! Good thing we quit!

It's still drying some 5 days later.  Kelly's still not home from her convention, so this story is to be continued ... Check back again on Thursday to see pics of the finished dress form, and this year's awesome costume she made!



2 comments:

Uncle Carol's blog said...

Can't wait to see the rest of this story. She at least has the body to do this activity. I wouldn't dream of doing this myself. lol

Cheryl Boglioli said...

Wow! Really impressed with her creativity. I think it might be fun to try too. Can't wait to see how it comes out when finished.