Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Distress Stain Storage


I recently came across a 50% off sale for the Tim Holtz Stains, so I figured it was the best time to complete my set.  They came shipped in these flimsy boxes, and each box fit 18 bottles.  Lucky me, they sent me two!  I decided to use them as my new storage.

I added some pieces of cardboard in the bottoms of the boxes to add strength, and then I set about decorating them.  I used some fabulous vintage papers my friend, Nancy Lynn, sent me.  I met her on a couple of the Tim Holtz cruises, and here's her blog:  Using Up All That Stuff.  She gets the best stuff!  She was very generous and sent me several sheets of ledger, music & journal papers.




Aren't they great?!

I tore the sheets into smaller pieces, then used the Distress Inks and the Wrinkle Free Distress technique.  I also added some Walnut Distress ink on the edges.  I attached them to the boxes with Modge Podge, overlapping them as I went.

I love the way they came out, but they're a little tacky.  Any suggestions on getting rid of that?

I used Tim's suggestion of inking sticker sheets, and when dry, punching out a 3/4" spot to label the tops of each bottle.  Love it!  I wanna do somethig like this for my Distress pads.

Here's some more pics of the finished boxes:









9 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

They look great! I have no idea how you can get rid of that tackiness from the modge podge. Would love to hear if you find a way!

Nancy Lynn said...

I love what you did with the vintage papers. Your boxes turned out wonderful. Thanks so much for your kind words. It is a lot of fun to send them to friends.

Lori said...

Way cool Steph! The colors on that old paper is really cool!

Diane said...

The best way to get rid of the tackiness of the Mod Podge is to spray it with some kind of sealer.
I love the boxes... They make a great storage solution for your Distress Stains.

Gloria said...

Stephanie, I love it that you up-cycled flimsy boxes into lovely creations! Those papers are so perfect!! I'm afraid I would be tempted to hoard them - but they look even better colored and becoming "practical art". Thanks, Diane, for the sealer suggestion. I have had Mod Podge tackiness before - glad to know how to deal with it! :o)

Winnie said...

I came here to look at your tags (which are awesome!), but your boxes to store your stains are awesome. Love the papers and how you put them together. What a great idea!

toni said...

Really enjoyed reading your last few posts looks like you've been having all sorts of fun. Love your tags and alcohol ink backgrounds. Good luck with the dress form x

Unknown said...

Love that idea! Looks great!

Barbara said...

Great use of recycling! Have you tried coating the boxes with glue and seal by ranger?

Barbara.