Sunday, January 13, 2013

Tim's Tag January 2013


This may very well have been my most favorite tag yet!  I really like the steampunk style, and I also love the color pallet Tim chose for this--Iced Spruce, Stormy Sky, Rusty Hinge & Walnut Stain.  I just love how the Rusty Hinge makes it all pop!

I didn't have Tim's Steampunk texture fade (gasp!), so I used a Cuttlebug folder that was similar.  I applied the colors with an ink blending tool, distressed the edges and added Walnut Stain to the edges.

I used his Gadget Gears bigz die to cut the 3 gears, and colored them with the 3 metallic distress stain colors ... I didn't have these *yet* ... my sister bought them for my gift (my whole family celebrated Jan. 5th), but my husband had them.  I wasn't supposed to know about them, so I snuck them out of the bag, used them for this tag and replaced them.  No one was the wiser.  *giggle*  Good thing no one in my family actually reads my blog!  lol

The gears got distressed, inked, and added to the tag base.

This saying was just perfect for this tag!  I thought I didn't have it, so I was looking through all my Tim stamps for a substitute and thought this one would work very well.  lol  Silly me.

Inked it, distressed, added Walnut around the edges, added a clip, and popped it up on the tag.


I didn't have any of Tim's Vial Labels, so I made my own using the back of one of Tim's Adage Tickets.  I stamped the hand, then carefully drew the line using the Black Soot Distress Marker.  I adhered it to the bottom left side and wrapped it around to the back.


I slipped a piece of Filmstrip Ribbon behind one of the gears near the top.



The ribbon was fun to make.  I colored the ribbon first, and since I didn't have Tim's January stamp, I used the months from a calendar set I had.  I used Archival Ink, but Tim suggested to heat dry the image immediately to avoid bleeding.  It was a little tricky stamping on the ribbon.  It wanted to fold like it was on the card.  I got out my ribbon iron (are you surprised I have an iron specifically for ribbon?  lol), and ironed it best I could (too impatient for the iron to heat up sufficiently).  I decided to use Tombow Temporary Adhesive to stick the ribbon to my craft sheet, and it worked like a charm!  I think the ribbon looks fun!

Finished!

I took pics of all the details, and when I took a pic of Tim's tag to post, I realized I never added gears!  lol  

Back to work!



Here's a look at Tim's version.  Remember, he makes these tag challenges every month, and they're great for learning new techniques.  He gives excellent step out instructions with pics, and they're ALWAYS on his blog.  I can't tell you how much I learned just from doing his tags alone.  My favorite part is finding things to substitute.  So much fun!


1 comment:

TAM said...

Brilliant take on Tim's tag - I hope you're right about family not reading your blog and discovering your "secret"