Monday, June 18, 2012

Dress Form Part II

Well, it's back to the drawing board for the dress form. 

When the expanding foam starting coming out of the ends, we decided to lay the dress form on a piece of rubber that we previously used under our pool filter.  Well, the foam stuck to the rubber, so I moved it all to the top of this cooler to take these pics.


I didn't have high hopes for this, because Kelly's butt is ... let's say shapely.  During the drying time, the butt got kind of flattened out.  She does not have a flat butt.  Also, the breasts didn't fill up completely either.  I had visions of poking small holes in each of the breasts and sticking the applicator tube in them and trying to add more foam.  After unsticking the dress form from the rubber, I took some pics, and after laughing a bit at the side view, I thought I'd post a pic of Kelly's side view:


Butt (pun intended), never fear.  This is our first prototype.  We're going to start over again tonight.  This time, she's agreed to just stand still and let me do all the wrapping.  This way, she won't be bending and twisting and compromising the stiffness of the duct tape.  Also, she's going to just wear undergarments so we have a more true-to-life form.  We're going to try to support the larger areas with pieces of hangers before filling up with the foam.  We also decided to maybe add tape to the bottom, so it's flat, and we can stand it upright while filling.  And, finally, we're going to do one can at a time, allowing 24 hrs. between each for proper drying time.

I the meantime, I thought I'd add a pic of this year's Anime costume that she made.  She makes a new costume every year, with no pattern, and no dress form.  Even if this foam thing doesn't work out on the 2nd attempt, I think she does a pretty good job on her own.


These costumes are based on comic images that these kids bring to life in costume.  This next picture was from last year's convention.  We had a lot of fun making the hammer.  The gear section is one main gear that's about 3-4" thick, filled with smaller gears.  There's clear plastic on each edge so you could see all the gears inside.  To make the clock arms on top, she drew the swirly hands on clear packaging plastic and colored in with black sharpie marker, then meticulously cut out.  The red hammer part is also clear plastic packaging, painted red, and the 10 different pieces are all hot-glued together before she painted a final coat.  The handle was made from a kids' bubble wand we found in Michaels.  The grey gears at the base of the hammer and the base of the gears were made from thick foam.

Very, very cool.


No comments:

There was an error in this gadget