Monday, June 11, 2012

June Techniques Class

 


Happy Summer everyone!  I've been wanting to create a shaker card for a while now, especially since I've collected quite the bag of plastic packaging!  Does that mean I've been purchasing too much? 

I got this new stamp set by My Sentiments Exactly! called "By The Sea Sentiments."  Just love it!  I'm crazy about text and alphabets, and anything nautical or beach themed.  This set suits both loves ... the shapes are created with text.

I chose the starfish and stamped with Tim Holtz Distress Tattered Rose, and then used the Brushed Corduroy Distress Marker and colored just one edge of each fin.  I then used an AquaPainter to blend the colors a bit.  I also inked the edges of the paper towards the center.

The frame was made with Soft Suede cardstock, also inked w/Brushed Corduroy.  I added some gold brads that I used Tim's Distress Hammer on.  When I was ready to put it together, I realized I couldn't find my bag of sand!  I've got soooo much stuff in this craft room, that I can always find, but that darn bag of sand always eludes me!  After wasting most of my day searching for it, I finally broke down and took a trip to Michaels.  You know I then divided that bag of sand into 3 smaller zip bags and put them in a few different places!

Here's a better look ... even with my glasses on, I can't figure out what the words say ... maybe I blended the colors too much?  lol

 


For the card base, I used Regal Rose cardstock and Crumb Cake.  I stamped on the Crumb Cake with Versamark ink using the retired Cheesecloth background stamp.  I also distressed the edges and inked w/Brushed Corduroy as well as the sentiment, also from the same stamp set.

 


My next card was using the old fashioned dry embossing technique using a light table, brass stencil and stylus tool.


After dry embossing, I took both the cardstock & stencil to my foam mat and used the stencil to pierce the design in the paper. 



I layered the Whisper White onto Sahara Sand, and after stapling a piece of  Not Quite Navy taffeta ribbon with my Tiny Attacher, adhered that to a piece of Not Quite Navy.  The card base is Crumb Cake, and the butterfly is stamped with the Butterfly punch and some DSP from the retired Blueberry Crisp.

 


This last card was also dry embossed the old fashioned way.  I then removed both the cardstock & stencil, and using sponge daubers, I lightly tapped color over the image.  I used Powder Puff Chalk Inks in the colors of Biscotti, Purple Passion & Very Berry.  After removing the stencil, I tapped a little more Biscotti ink in the center.  I then paper pierced the corners using my paper-piercing template.

The card base is Soft Suede with some Elegant Eggplant Textured cardstock on the bottom half.  The Whisper White was run through the Big Shot using the Perfect Polka Dots folder.  I wrapped this w/Elegant Eggplant grosgrain ribbon.  As a finishing touch, I stamped the saying using the Tiny Tags set and the Biscotti Chalk ink and punched out with the Jewelry Tag Punch.

I just realized that this card has both the old fashioned dry embossing technique, as well as the quick, modern use of an embossing folder.



No comments: